Product Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Increase resizing handle on sidebar vertically and add auto expand to show full names

The handle with html class "ui-resizable-handle ui-resizable-e" is too small and hard to notice, so expanding the sidebar is very difficult and if you miss to the right, you close the sidebar unless you pin it, which is annoying. This makes navigating very difficult. You could expand that vertically to make it easier, as that's probably expected user behavior given that all windows on a desktop can be expanded from any point on the side. You could also add a feature to auto expand to the maximum character length of your longest table, database or file name.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Navigation UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The workspace is displayed at the top of the interface.

The workspace could be displayed at the top of the interface. For example - "Microsoft Azure - XYZ Workspace". It is annoying to determine the workspace by clicking on the "person" icon on the right and looking at the drop down to determine the workspace.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Navigation UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. search a string in all notebooks

search a string in all notebooks (all cells, all of the code) like search in project in any ide

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. UI should have files/storage browser (i.e. for ADLSgen2)

Databricks UI should provide user friendly method (= not a command line) to browse files on external file system like ADLS, open and edit text files and to upload and download files. Now user is forced to use external software (storage explorer). The external file storage would be configured by administrator (single per workspace) and ACLs should be taken into account when accessing external storage (aka credentials passthrough)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. UX fix

Hi,

if you work with multiple people inside the same notebook, the other persons courser is refelceted wrong( jumps to my current edit if the person is idle)
    pls fix
    thx

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Navigation UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow management of Groups through the UI

Allow management of Groups through the UI rather than just through the Groups API.

Only being able to Add/Remove/List Users in a Group through the Groups API is inconvenient and restrictive.

The current state of Permissions management for administrators of Databricks is not a great experience.

When a new User is granted access, the Administrators need to go and manually grant the User Permission to all of the Libraries/Folders/Jobs/Clusters etc.

This manual process has resulted in Users being granted Permissions that they shouldn't have or not being granted Permissions that they should have.

We want to use Groups to help…

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Navigation UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. The job list page sorted by job id in descending order

When I navigate to the job list page (https://###.cloud.databricks.com/#joblist) it would be nice if the jobs were sorted by job id in descending order so the latest job was at the top.

I use Hadoop and HUE and they do this and I find it very less user friendly that the Databricks job list doesn't do this.

Also, if I look at the details of a job and then navigate back to the job list the sort I had selected (job id desc) is lost and I have to resort.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Full-screen file browser

The side drawer is better than nothing. But actual persistent pages for navigating the filesystem (like in Jupyter Notebook) would be much more helpful.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Workspace was more like JupyterHub

JupyterHubs navigation is very easy to use and does not keep expanding out and closing notebooks, it would be worth considering merging the best of both UI's.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Navigation UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. "Star" notebooks to add them to Favourites

It would be beneficial if I'd be able to "Star" notebooks, which would add them to my Favourite notebooks. Then, having quick access to those "Starred" notebooks would be a life-saver. Currently we have Recent, which lists Recent notebooks, however the use case is a bit different.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. edit multiple lines in the same cell at the same time

Ever wish you could edit multiple lines of code at the same time? I know I do!
    It can be used for -- but not limited to -- editing large CASE statements, reducing copy and paste efforts, change multi-lines worth of commas with periods etc.

(in vim, it is the ctrl+v command)

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. you could "pin" a folder to the sidebar

I would save a few clicks if I could "pin" a favorite to the sidebar instead of clicking through a folder hierarchy. While pinning a folder is my biggest need, I could imagine others finding it useful to pin a few favorite resources (maybe tables, dashboard, notebooks etc)

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Databricks search worked to find substrings in notebooks

Using the databricks search feature (the magnifying glass in the UI), I often find myself unable to find notebooks with a given search term, even when I am certain the term matches substrings in notebooks. Support informed me that "currently you can only search whole words and not substrings." For one, it would be nice to add this caveat to documentation, as it does not strike me as the most obvious/expected behavior of a search tool. More importantly, I would like to see substring matching feature added to the search functionality.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Sort workspace by time

It would be very helpful to be able to sort notebooks in workspace/folder view by update time descending. That way, I could quickly access recently changed notebooks.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I can create a table of contents (TOC) at the beginning of the notebook for navigation purposes

It would be nice to create a table of contents to better organized my notebook. This will make it more compelling for me to share my notebook as an official report.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Navigation UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. job

The job UI was improved to be less cluttered. Jobs are a very useful feature, but the UI does not scale well. Suggestions:

-Group jobs that have been run in the past 1/7/30 days in different sections
    -Have a folders feature for self-organization

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. It is super confusing to understand that databases are tied to a specific cluster based on the UI.

When you browser the "Data" tab, it is very confusing that the databases which show up are based on which cluster is selected. You have to click the arrow next to "Databases" to even know how it works. You should make it far more clear in the UI.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Shell access like Google Cloud Shell

Having a "Cloud Shell" like Googles when attached to a cluster, so that I can run pip and other shell specific commands when working on a project.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. The app had more granular access controls

For the enterprise-level access patterns we're trying to achieve with Databricks, being either an administrator or a user is not enough granularity.

We're giving our team members their own personal clusters to do their development on with zero resource contention, and we want them to be able to restart their cluster, change libraries whenever they see fit, and monitor driver logs. We don't want them to be able to change the size and machine type of their cluster. We need something in-between standard user and administrator that allows us to accomplish this. It'd be nice if we could define our…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)