Product Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Git support for Visual Studio Team Services for Azure Databricks

Most people on Azure are likely to also use VSTS as their git repository. VSTS support authorization tokens and git operations just like GIT itself so it should be an easy addition I would think.

582 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    33 comments  ·  Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support Search and Replace within a Notebook across all Cells

It will really aid productivity if we can search and replace across all cells within a notebook.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Collapsible Headings

It would be great to have collapsible markdown headings just like the notebook extension "collapsible headings" in jupyter. Notebooks tend to become very large very quickly and this feature would greatly help us.

72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Export Source includes command cell titles

When a notebook is exported, the command cell titles are lost and cannot be imported.

This includes when using the built in github / bitbucket integration.

Perhaps the titles could be included within the MAGIC comments that proceed each cell in the source.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. add cell numbering

it would be easier to say to my colleagues "have a look at cell #15" rather than "scroll down and look for such and such title, after such chart".

it's ok if the cell numbers change even though i add and remove cells often. cell numbering is helpful when i'm asking someone to review something, which lasts about 15min most of the time. if i move the cells around, i'll inform them which cell again, that's not really a big issue for me.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Cell/command numbers are now supported. Under the File menu enable “Show Command Numbers”. In addition to cell/command numbers, you can now click on a command number, which changes the URL. You can, hence, share links to particular cells/commands.

7. Line Numbers

Debugging in Databricks is plenty annoying as is. Letting us see line numbers should be a simple change that would make debugging much less frustrating. (Sometimes I've ended up pasting the contents of a cell into a text editor to find the line providing the error!)

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Both line numbers and command numbers are now available. Under the VIEW menu you can show/hide them. Your preferences will be remembered. Command numbers can be clicked on, which gives you a permalink to that particular command. Such permalinks are great for sharing and pointing collaborators to specific commands in notebooks.

8. run all cells from this point down

Sometimes you have logic in one cell which fails but other cells below it rely on it. It would be nice if you could do "run all down" meaning it runs the selected cell, plus all remaining cells in the notebook.

This would be nice in cases where you don't want to re-run the whole notebook, but just from the failed point on.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. It would be great to have "search and replace" ability in DB notebooks

It would be great to have "search and replace" ability in DB notebooks

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Ability to manage notebook/folder permissions with custom ACL Groups

Define groups with a list of users, so we can set permission on a notebook/folder for that group.

Currently, whenever we add user to a team there is a lot of manual adding of the user to many notebook/folders.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow a repository branch to be specified with the GitHub integration

Allow a repository branch to be specified with the GitHub integration. For more complicated Git workflows it isn't always best to make changes to the master branch. Being able to specify the a custom branch will allow users to create a dev branch for testing and merge it into the master branch when the notebook has been completed.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I could see which notebooks are currently running any command

For small, one-off tasks we use a shared default cluster. When we need to restart that cluster we do not want to kill any running tasks, so we need to go to Cluster UI, expand the cluster in question and open each notebook attached to that cluster to check whether it's running any command. This is tedious if we have a lot of notebooks attached to the cluster.

It would be cool if the UI showed whether the notebook is running any command or not.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is now available.
    1. Click on Clusters in the navigation bar.
    2. Then click on the relevant cluster in the cluster list. This takes you to a detailed page about the selected cluster.
    3. Now click on the “Notebooks” tab. The middle “status” column will either say “Idle” or “Running” depending on if the listed notebook is currently running or not.

14. Default permissions for Home dirs

Allow specifying default permissions for home directories of newly added users, when using ACLs. We would like to add an Everyone/Read permission by default.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Libraries did not fill "Workspace" display

We have a lot of libraries loaded and they fill the workspace pull-right. Also, the same library name can appear multiple times. It would be great if there were some more logical and informative display of the libraries.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The best practice we see from other customers is to organize the libraries into sub-folders. Otherwise it looks as if the workspace is “polluted” with a lot of libraries. We are simultaneously looking at improving our library management.

16. I can pass argument to notebook from the jobs

Pass arguments from the jobs to a notebook

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. now() in sql returned the current date

There doesn't seem to be a way to get the current date in sql. now() returns a null pointer exception.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. If would be great if standard IPython notebook (as opposed to dbc format) could be imported to DBC.

If would be great if standard IPython notebook (as opposed to dbc format) could be imported to DBC. Why change the standard ipynb files? That allows users to test their ideas on any platform and then import to DBC

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Importing IPython nootbooks using drag and drop is confusing (move/ copy etc). Sometimes after dropping it just shows the markup with no err

Importing IPython nootbooks using drag and drop is confusing (move/ copy etc). Sometimes after dropping it just shows the markup with no err.Please improve this

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You should be able to copy/paste cells in notebooks without drag ‘n drop. That’s especially useful for either (a) big cells with a lot of text in them or (b) cells which you want to move long distances.

20. notebooks were stored in a git repo I could access from outside the cluster.

My preferred method of offline editing would involve cloning a git repo, and pushing my changes when I got back online.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Notebooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base